Thursday, August 26, 2010

War of the Crickets.

Since we have moved into our apartment, we occasionally have moments with crickets being really loud. Once there was a cricket that had gotten into the wall for a few days and I was moments from getting a sledge-hammer to find that little sucker because it was driving me crazy.

If I lived out in the country and had this fabulous porch wrapping around my house where I could sit in my rocking chair from Cracker Barrel and drink fresh sweet tea in the evenings, I'd probably love the sound of the crickets as I rocked slowly back and forth taking in everything nature had to offer.

I don't live in the country.

I don't have a Cracker Barrel rocking chair on my porch with a great view.

I certainly don't live where the weather is nice enough to sit outside and feel a "cool" breeze.

I do however live in an apartment where my porch has a grill and a small table that when I sit there looks at another building in our complex and the weather here is hot and humid. So in the evenings, my husband and I will curl up on the couch (with a laptop nearby, of course. It's 2010. Technology is in our lives.) and watch shows together until he decides that he ready to go to bed. I kiss him goodnight and go back to the living room or spare room and watch things on the DVR that don't interest him or random items that I can instant stream from Netflix. (Weeds, anyone? I love that show.) Everything is great, right.

Well, except for the crickets that have currently taken residence in the plants right outside my front door. They are so loud it sounds like they're IN MY HOUSE and I can hear them even in our bedroom with the door closed. I have decided that when it's just one cricket, it's more annoying than when there are many crickets, but still. If they could go to the grass across from my apartment, I'm sure that the crickets and I could get along fine, but since they've set up camp outside my door, tension is being set up.

Did you know if you go outside and just randomly spray your Raid for Flying Insects it won't kill the crickets? I probably sprayed half a can all over the plants and ground outside of my door, (which will probably kill the plants, but hey, they aren't mine. The complex can deal with that.) and the crickets have still made it.

I will say, however, that the day I decided to go out there and spray, a cricket got into my apartment, and that cricket lost the battle of his attempted invasion. I'm sorry, PETA, but crickets are freaky.

If you have any cricket-repellent pointers, please, tell me. It's been a nightly issue for the last few days and it's getting old.


No comments:

Post a Comment