Wednesday, February 8, 2012

First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage, Then...

Comes baby!
Ultrasound - February 8, 2012 - 8 weeks
So, I have vowed to my friends on Facebook and Twitter that I would not and will not be that parent that once they have a baby-in-utero, they only update about being pregnant and the events after.

However, some people want to know those details, (because I guess it can be interesting) so I'll just update my blog with that kind of stuff, considering this blog is about me, and it's my blog so I can do whatever I want. :)

How We Found Out
Most women discover their pregnancy by typical symptoms (being late, fatigue, nausea, etc.), but I am not most women. If I'm going to find out I'm pregnant, I apparently choose a much different route.

On the evening of January 17, it was business as usual. I got home from work, ate dinner with Travis, watched Teen Mom 2 and then took a shower before bed. As I was taking on the physically-demanding task of rinsing my hair, my heart started racing and pounding. It freaked me out a little, so I decided to breathe slow and finish showering. When I got out a few minutes later, it was still racing, so I counted my beats per minute...it was so fast I could barely keep count but it was somewhere around 130-140bpm. I felt like this was definitely something to be alarmed about, but I didn't want to be crazy, so I decided to lay down so I could just be still. I figured sleep makes your heart rate slow down naturally, so it'd calm down.30-45 minutes later it was still going, so I told Travis that I was concerned, and I felt like I should go to the emergency clinic by our apartment.

Of course, by the time I got there, I felt like I was delusional, because it had finally slowed down, but I wanted to get checked out anyway. They checked me in and hooked me to a heart monitor within a few minutes (I love that place!), and began doing blood work and took a urine sample. I joked with them that if they were looking for a positive pregnancy test, they weren't going to find it. I definitely wasn't pregnant.

A little while later, the doctor came in, and this is how the conversation went:

Doctor: Mrs. Hazzard, we got your test results back. Now everything came back normal except for one...
Me: (inner-monologue) Oh my gosh. I need a heart transplant. Or I'm dying. This isn't good. 

Doctor: ...you're pregnant!

Me: WHAT? Are you serious? No way! For real? You're sure? Oh my gosh. Are you serious? I'm pregnant? No way!

Doctor: (after recovering from laughter) Yes ma'am, your tests came out positive for pregnancy. The good news is that all of your vitals are normal now and it was probably just a surge of hormones.

Travis and I were both so shocked. We were both pretty quiet, trying to absorb this new information. The worst part was that they told us around midnight, which meant that I was expected to go home, go to sleep, and wake up for work the next morning.

I should've asked for a doctor's note to excuse me from work.

Not Feeling Real
Aside from being more tired than usual, some nausea, and the occasional mood swing, overall, I haven't felt too different. We told our families, but it still wasn't feeling real. In the last two weeks or so, I kept thinking, "what if they mis-read my lab results? What if I'm not pregnant? I would be so devastated."

It was bothering me so much I even took a home pregnancy test.

It came out positive. :)

But I will say, now that I have seen (and cried over) the baby and the heartbeat, it feels real. I am soooo excited!

It isn't my intention to only update about baby-related information, but at least people have the option to read this instead of extensive Facebook updating. :)



3 comments:

  1. love, love, love it! congratulations, i can't wait to meet this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa McRae MassengeFebruary 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM

    This is awesome!! Congrats, Jessica!! I'm sorry you had a scare with your heart, but I love the story of how you found out. Congrats to you and Travis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update away! Having a baby IS an exciting, miraculous experience; pay no attention to the naysayers. They're just jealous. Enjoy every minute of your pregnancy (at least the enjoyable moments!) and your child's life without apologies. I know I at least look forward to living vicariously through your pregnancy for now!

    ReplyDelete