Thursday, July 21, 2011

Maybe I have ADD?

Yesterday, I was thinking about how I haven't cooked in a long time. And by a long time, I mean it was so long ago that I barely remember it. I know that there was an instance not too long ago where I made chicken and rice (Travis' favorite) and the chicken had been in the freezer for a very long time, but we decided to go for it and see if it makes a difference. It does make a difference, in my opinion, because the texture was...rubbery. Anyway, that was a meal we threw away and got take-out instead.

Then there was another day when I had my friends Nick and Sony over for Hamburger Helper. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I only serve fine cuisine around here. But really, Nick asked me to make Hamburger Helper, and I love Hamburger Helper, so how could I say no? The Beef Stroganoff is the best one, and for $1.50ish, I fail to see how you can go wrong, unless you're one of those healthy-types that counts calories and preservatives and saturated fats, etc...


Deliciousness.

Back to the origin of why I'm posting, I was thinking about how I haven't cooked in a long time, and that I wanted to actually have food in my pantry/refrigerator that when combined could create a full meal, because lately, all you can make is a PB&J or like, white rice with lunch meat. Appetizing, right? Notsomuch.

So I begin making a grocery list. I was standing right next to the stove, which is near the pantry, so I could make a quick inventory of what I have, and that's when I was looking at our range light and thought about how the bulb burned out at some point in 2010--it's probably been a year since that happened, and I decided to look at it and see what kind of bulb it takes so I could finally replace it.

Because I know you're this interested.
I go and get the screwdriver and find it's nothing more than what appears to be a night-light bulb. I felt certain I had a stash of those somewhere (I don't) and I went looking for some. When my search ended in failure, I remembered that I have a night-light that we don't use that I could use the bulb from as a test-bulb. I grab it, go to the kitchen and try to take out the burned-out bulb. I messed up somewhere, (you'd think that unscrewing a bulb wouldn't be a difficult task, but apparently it was for me at that moment) and the bulb detached from the metal part and then I couldn't get the whole bulb out. My only solution at this point is to call the maintenance man because I don't want to electrocute myself or break something---I'd much rather have the maintenance guy do it so I can make my grocery trip and I won't have to fiddle with it.

Once I come to that decision, I scan my apartment and decide I need to load the dishwasher and run it as well as clean up some things that have cluttered the table and counters--because obviously the maintenance man cares about how clean my apartment is. I'm sure that he keeps tabs on that type of thing.

I start cleaning everything, throw out a few things from my refrigerator, and once the table is clean, I remembered how I haven't had the nice placemats and napkins, (that I use pretty much solely for decorative purposes) out in a long time because they were dirty, so I go into the laudry room to get those started in the washer. Then I get obsessive about making sure I have all of them, (there still may or may not be a missing napkin, I finally just gave up) and I ended up in the closet of our spare bedroom (aka, "the man cave") and I find myself looking for a smaller sized gift bag appropriate for a wedding gift. Several minutes later, I decide to just add it to the list because I didn't have one, so I go back to the kitchen, but first look up and notice a dusty air vent. I grabbed the Swiffer 360 (get one if you don't have it already, it's life-changing), make the vent dust-free, add the gift bag to the list and return to the laundry room and get the napkins/placemats started. Then I came back to the kitchen and started making the list again. It doesn't last long, because I then noticed that I didn't put the candlesticks back on the table, so I wipe them and put them out.

Then it hits me that the following tasks were never accomplished:
1. Starting the dishwasher.
2. I originally began the pantry-inventory to see if I had cream of chicken. I never even looked.
3. I never called the maintenance man.
4. I'm still walking around the apartment, with an incomplete grocery list and I'm still not dressed for the day and it's about 3pm.

Why am I all over the place?! I get so scatterbrained in instances like this, and the likelihood of me coming full circle in instances like this is about 50/50. Sometimes I do remember to finish all of the small tasks I started, but there are plenty of times when I never even remember.

Moral of the story? I hope I'm not alone in being this ADD with home-related tasks.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

3 comments:

  1. Are you in my head, because this is my life. I will also think of things I need to take when I'm leaving (coupon, rental, directions, etc.) and then I just walk right out the door without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that. I have so much trouble doing just one thing. One room at a time.. not so much. I will take something out of the room because it doesn't belong there and then end up cleaning something in the room it goes in, but never finish that room of course because then i think of something else. i am very much like this. also, jealous of your kitchen and the fancy lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda-when I absolutely have to remember something, I write a note to myself on a large sheet, (large for a keychain, that is) of paper and attach it to my key-ring. I won't let myself take it off unless I've completed the checklist. Works every time. :)

    ReplyDelete