Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Great Grocery Store Adventure

May I just say that the word 'grocery' in an interesting-looking word? Because I think it is.

Remarkably, that isn't what my post is about today.

Last night, my church's youth group had a lock-in and I was asked to chaperone, and I managed to stay up all night. That's probably because I had people to play board games with the entire time and board games are like, one of my favorite things ever.

I'm really good at side-tracking today. I've definitely deleted about a billion side-notes in this post already and I've just gotten started.

ANYWAY...


So I leave the church at about 7:30ish this morning, and in the middle of a game of SORRY! I was hungry and decided that Honey Nut Cheerios would be an awesome breakfast, but I didn't have any and I didn't have milk, so I knew to satisfy the craving I'd have to stop at the grocery store. I decided to go to the HEB in the town where my church is, because I was feeling to lazy to go to the HEB by my apartment since that would require having to exit and cross over the interstate---and that just felt far too demanding.

I go in and decide to actually shop. I was still feeling pretty energetic, (just not enough to cross the interstate) and considering that grocery stores at 8am are really quiet, uncrowded and still nice and neat, I wanted to take advantage.

SIDEBAR #1491234: I hate the grocery store when it's busy. I hate when the only loaf of bread left is smushed and the store has managed to run out of toilet paper. I also hate when the cashier is really rude because they hate their jobs since people come in getting upset that their FoodStamps just won't pay for their Bud Light. I can't blame them for hating their job, but I make an effort to be polite, so don't roll your eyes at me when I ask a question, cashier!

I gather my selections and managed to do a full-blown grocery store trip in about 20 minutes and I went to the only check-out lane that was open. There were several people in line, (for it being 8-something-in-morning, anyway) and this guy told me he'd help me on a different lane. The man in front of me holding a watermelon, biscuits and bacon looks over when I was invited to the next lane, so I told him that he could go in front of me since it would take about 30 seconds for him to be finished. By the way, he NEVER said thank you for my kindness

The guy finishes, and the cashier went to begin my checkout, and he looks at me, panicked, back at his computer and says, "My computer just froze." After having an enjoyable evening/early morning, I was in a good mood and told him that if he needed to reboot, I'd wait. I wasn't in a hurry. A look of relief comes across his face and he reboots. It starts back up and it still wasn't working. He called someone over for assistance, and she's telling him what to do to fix it, but he wasn't really comprehending, (in his defense, she told him to plug the computer in, but was pointing to the receipt printer. I'd be confused too). Then she went to plug in the "computer" and it shocked her---so much so that I heard it and she had goosebumps up and down her arm.

That is the point when I'd be like, "Ma'am, let's check you out at a station that isn't about to explode." But no, she kept fiddling with it, and got shocked. AGAIN. Then she was like, "Yeah, ok, I'm not doing that again. Let's move you to the next lane."

She calls her manager over to see what is going on and within about 2 seconds, the employees had moved all of my groceries from one lane to the other, all while I was searching for my Visa.

He looks at it, and he was like, "I bet it was nothing. It's probably like when you plug something in and home and you see the little spark. That just happens some times.' I told him that I could hear the shock, that it was very loud and every time she touched that cord I could hear the electricity, even before she got shocked. He was like, "Yeah, but that happens to me all the time at home."

Seriously, Mr. Manager, maybe you should call your electrician to check that out. I cannot hear the electricity running through my house---to me, that sounds like (pun!!) you're going to have an electrical fire.

HEB did not burst into flames, but Mr. Manager did get a buzz himself from it. I left before everything was figured out, but considering I went to the grocery store just for some Honey Nut Cheerios, to me, this was an eventful trip to the store.

The Honey Nut Cheerios were delicious.











PS: I know this post was probably super-lame, but I've had about 1.5 hours of sleep since yesterday, so to me, it's amusing.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, Thank you for this post. We enjoyed your trip to the store. :)

    ReplyDelete