Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Social Etiquette?

Yesterday, my husband and I met my friend, Kim at Cracker Barrel for dinner. ---For anyone who is thinking "Cracker Barrel?! Seriously?!"  ...you obviously don't share my affinity for their macaroni and cheese.

Anyway, we were seated and our server was one of my least favorites at this store, (yes, we go there frequently enough to know the good servers from the bad ones) and we go about our business. She's the type of server that brings you the plate of bread, forgets to make note that you need a refill and walks away. Then when she returns several minutes later to bring you the silverware that you asked for 15 minutes ago, you have to ask her for the refill. When I waited tables (ironically, at Cracker Barrel) I would always check for refills if I even passed the table. That's what makes a server a good one. They're attentive. I don't really have anything else to note about this particular server, except that she made me miss, (yes, miss) our regular server, who doesn't even have to take our drink order because he knows what we want.

...now that I think about it, we may dine at the ol' CB a little too often.

The three of us are enjoying ourselves when we see two people that went to our high school walk in. We discussed if it was who we thought it was and so forth, and established that it was who we thought. Then, of course, comes the part when you decide if you're going to say anything. It's not like any of us were close to these two former classmates, and while I think one of them may have been in my grade, I don't even remember. Considering when they walked in, they were sat two tables away from us, you'd think if they recognized us that they would have initiated some sort of greeting, but they didn't, which is fine.

When it was time for us to get up, I couldn't decide what to do---

Do I:

A) say hello
B) just walk away and pretend like I don't know who they are
C) just wait to see if they greet me first

I opted for D, walk away briskly and be sure to be engaged in conversation with my group in the hope that they don't interrupt because that is always the best choice.

What is it about moments like that? Saying hello wouldn't have hurt me, but I just never know what to say after "Hey." I hate getting sucked into pretend conversations where all parties are pretending like they are so excited to see one another, when in fact, all parties are thinking, "Is it rude to walk away while they're still talking?" At the same time, I always feel strange doing the typical smile-nod act of acknowledgement, because to me, that screams, "Hi, I'm incapable of engaging in conversation" or "Wow, I really hope you don't say hello as I walk by because I definitely don't want to talk to you for more than 5 seconds."

I know, my problems are like, really intense these days.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment