Thursday, July 14, 2011

What? It's July Already?! A clustered recap.

So I remember being a kid and daydreaming about being a teacher and always thinking, "Having summers off is going to be AMAZING!!!"

Guess what? I think I have been just as busy this summer as I was during the school year. I was really hoping it'd be a sleep late, take care of loose ends kind of a situation, and I barely have time to do anything.

However, everything I've been doing has been voluntary, so I guess I can't be too disappointed.

We went to Washington DC for the 4th of July with 3 of my friends from college and it was a lot of fun. We did your typical tourist-y type activities such as touring the nation's capitol, the Smithsonians, the Washington Monument, etc. The best part was probably some of the places that we ate.

Things are about to get fat:

My friends are pretty genius and they decided to check out local places that had been given praise from shows like Man vs Food, Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives, $40 a Day, etc. All of the places recommended from the Food Network were delicious. There was a place that we ate at that wasn't based on a tv-recommendation called Harry's or Harriet's, or maybe it was both---and let me tell you---it was not good. Don't eat there, mkay, kids?

We did, however, enjoy one of the MOST amazing burgers I've ever eaten at Good Stuff Eatery, which is owned and operated by Top Chef's contestant, Spike Mendolsohn, and it was spectacular. Go there and don't forget the milkshake.

...how typical of an American to be more excited about the food than the sights. Shame, shame. To make up for my gluttony, here's a picture of something that I did on the trip:


Campaigning for the 2012 Election
 Not to change the topic entirely, but I'm going to. SO BIG BROTHER IS BACK, Y'ALL!! This is big and very exciting. Today is the elimination, and I can't decide who I dislike more out of the two on the block (Keith and Porshe) but I'm thinking that Keith is going home. Maybe Porshe will stop being so obnoxious if she gets to stay.

The last thing I would like to touch on, is a topic that often drives me nuts--and that's Facebook-related behavior. When did people forget that it's THE INTERNET. Yes, it's a way to be social and all of that, but everyone is aware that it's CTHYBERSTHPACE, right?

People get way too worked up on Facebook. Bob posts an update, Bill disagrees with it. Mutual friends of Bob and Bill start taking sides and five minutes later, Bill has deleted Bob from Facebook as well as any of the mutual friends that the two share and a comment about the dryer eating socks has turned into a full-blown Facebook feud. What is wrong with us that we let it get that big? It's Bob's Facebook, Bob can say what he wants, right?

It just really frustrates me. Then I see people updating that they've just gotten their period or they have an ingrown toenail or that their baby's daddy is now cheating on them with the babysitter. Seriously, people. Let's be adults. Let's not put all of our personal and private information on Facebook, where although your profile may be private, it isn't private to your 200 closest aquaintences. I just need people to stop and realize that it's Facebook---the place where everything is written or read and you can't always sense tone or sarcasm, so instead of being adult and saying, "Hey...did you literally mean that my mom eats toilet paper, or was that a joke?" they just delete each other and ignore the inital moment of frustration.

Oh, Facebook. It's a love-hate relationship.

2 comments:

  1. I love it when people post things like this:

    "Ugh! All these people who say they hate drama are the ones causing it! I'm deleting drama in my life. If you see this, consider yourself lucky!"

    Oh, the irony. I didn't want to take the extra effort to make it grammatically incorrect, but you get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is my favorite:

    Copy this text and put it in your status if you know someone, or have heard of someone who knows someone. If you don't know anyone, or even if you've just heard of someone who doesn't know anyone, then still copy this. It's important to spread the message.

    ReplyDelete