Thursday, June 21, 2012

Third Trimester?! Are you kidding me?!

How far along: 27weeks, 4 days

How big is baby: According to thebump.com, the baby is about the size of an eggplant. He weighs about two pounds!
Total weight gain: About 9lbs or so.
Sleep: Sometimes, I sleep really well, and sometimes I don't.
Maternity Clothes: Definitely
Morning Sickness: Nope
Food cravings: Nothing new.
Food aversions: Nothing new.
Challenges: Doing anything without grunting and also a lot of back pain.
Movement: All the time! :)
Boy or Girl?: Boy.
What I’m looking forward to: Everything. Seeing him for the first time. Getting his nursery together.
What I miss: A painless back.
Next appt: I think it's next Friday, but it's probably this Friday. Thankfully, they always give me a reminder call. This is the appointment I'm dreading--the glucose testing to test for gestational diabetes. FUN!


I'm seriously in disbelief over how quickly this baby is growing!




I truly cannot believe that I'm officially in the 3rd trimester of this pregnancy, which only means 2 things:


1. Baby Nathan will be here before I know it
2. School will be back in session before I know it. :(


I'm not too excited about #2, but that's life, I suppose.


A question I have gotten surprisingly frequently or have heard it being discussed is drinking alcohol during pregnancy. I do drink occasionally, but when I say occasionally, I actually mean it, unlike that distant relative you have that says, "Oh, I don't drink often" and everyone knows they're lying. If and when I drink, it's a glass of wine, maybe once a month. This year at my family's Christmas Eve gathering, I poured a glass of wine, took two sips and forgot all about it.



So, the argument is that having a glass of wine once in a while during pregnancy is perfectly harmless, but here's the thing: why drink at all? In the last few months, there have been two instances where I thought to myself, "If I wasn't pregnant, I'd probably have a glass of wine right now" but it's something that I would never do. I'm not saying that I judge people that do choose to have the occasional drink during pregnancy, but being that fetal alcohol syndrome is a very real condition for babies, I just don't see how it's worth the risk.


I occasionally follow a message board on a pregnancy website and some of the expectant mothers there really freak out over issues that I don't always see as being an issue. For example, someone was talking about a pregnant friend who is hoping to deliver at 38 weeks. While I personally am hoping to go into labor naturally, if the doctor of this friend isn't worried about delivering the baby early, then that's between that patient and the doctor, in my opinion.


Yesterday, there were multiple posts on the board about putting a carseat in a shopping cart and the huge danger that it can bring. They were posting articles and talking about how they judge any mother who puts her baby's carrier in the carseat, but most of the articles mentioned that the baby's carseat wasn't properly snapped into the grocery cart and/or they were not wearing their seat-belt while in the carseat.


As these women bring up these topics, I find it a little surprising that I see many of them talking about having a glass of wine here and there. When I brought up that I had personally chose not to drink at all during my pregnancy, because "I don't need it, so why do it" two whole people agreed with me.

As I said before, I just don't see how it's worth the risk to drink at all to people. When I first found out I was pregnant, I decided to cut all of my caffeine (that wasn't chocolate, of course) out of my diet, because I figured that none was better than any, but I changed my decision (with my doctor's advice) when I could no longer handle the headaches from the caffeine withdraws.

Pregnancy definitely brings a lot of opinions from strangers. 


I guess if I decide to snap my baby's carseat into the grocery cart, I'll be sure to keep that a secret from the women on that website.



2 comments:

  1. I think I might be the only person in the world who actually likes that stuff they make you drink for the glucose testing. The hardest part for me is going in fasting and without my morning cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctor told me to have a normal morning in terms of what I eat/drink, because she said that people who change what they're eating suddenly usually test positive. Your doctor has you fast in the morning?

    ReplyDelete