Monday, July 26, 2010

Friendship

I managed to sleep in today until about 10:50 this morning, and as we all know, AM programming is really not that fantastic. My television has landed on ABC Family. where they air Full House from 11:00 to 12:00 every weekday. As a kid, this was one of my favorite shows, but as an adult, when I watch it, it's more of a, "What was I thinking" moment. Due to my familiarity with it, it's something I will admit I turn on when I want background noise while checking my Facebook, (I almost wrote e-mails, but I never have e-mails) and other daily website visits I do when I get up each day.

Today's episode was one where Michelle is trying to decide who is her best friend, and Uncle Jesse is upset with his best friend, Joey, for making him feel left out at work while Joey and his new girlfriend make jokes during the Rush Hour Renegade radio show.

While in my opinion, none of the happenings in that episode are realistic to adult friendships, it managed to get me thinking about my friendships since I was feeling bloggy. Some people seem to have an endless amount of friends they pull from, but when I talk to people like that, it makes me wonder how surface-level some of those friendships are.

I have never been a person with lots and lots of friends, but I have always had friends that I was close to, that I know I can count on. The person that I consider my best friend, (that isn't my husband) is Kim, who I have known for 15 years. I met her at a school-fundraiser party in the bathroom when I was in 5th grade. I had been in the party room talking to people, and saw someone I wanted to say hi to talking to a 6th grader. I went to greet the person, (I have no clue who it was all these years later) and the evil 6th grader gave me the finger when I walked up. Being the bright-eyed and innocent child I was, I was horrified and ran away to the bathroom, where Kim and her then BFF, Brittany were sitting on the counter playing with a Yak-Back.

They asked me what was wrong and started talking to me. Actually, really Brittany talked more than Kim did, because then, Kim was really shy. I remember they cheered me up and we kept playing with that Yak-Back. I remember really wanting one, so I guess I figured I'd play with theirs since I didn't have one.






A couple of years later, Kim and I realized that we had ridiculous amounts of fun together and we have been best friends since 8th grade. She's the one person who can really seems to be able to read my mind, and sometimes, it's like I'm reading hers. We are constantly communicating just by looking at each other, which I think results in 12 years of being best friends.



This past weekend, Travis, my brother, his friend, Chase, Kim and I went to New Braunfels, TX to tube down the Comal River. We all went down the river twice as a group, and then Kim and I decided that floating the river a third time just with us would be fun, since the boys were already talking about how they were excited to go back to the hotel. Normally, floating the river in a small group can be dull, but I am pretty sure that I had just as much fun floating with one other person than I did floating it with 4 other people.



Having many friends is a great thing, but for me, having a few great friends is even greater.





No comments:

Post a Comment