Sunday, May 1, 2011

A day in history.

Nearly 10 years after the tragic attacks of September 11, 2001, it has been announced that Al Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden has been killed in Pakistan.

I'm probably one of the least-political people on the planet, because I just can't seem to maintain interest, but I do know how huge this is. This is a person who had so much hatred in his heart that he killed thousands of people---not just on September 11th, but people anyone that he deemed to be lesser than himself.

Sound familiar? Oh, right. There was that Hitler guy.

My main news source tends to be the local newspaper as well as links that are posted on Facebook. This is a fact about my life, and while some are probably cringing their noses, I don't really care. Scrolling through my newsfeed tonight has felt similar to the night that President Barack Obama was elected...people that were celebrating and people that were enraged, and today, it bothers me more than it did a couple of years ago.

Tonight, people in this nation are celebrating the victory of our soldiers that have been fighting hard and endlessly to protect our nation and our freedoms, but there are those that want to make it about their hate for politicians.

I wish people could look at the big-picture. I don't think that the "war on terror" is going to be over, because someone will surely try to take over for Osama bin Laden, but it's progress. Everyone just need to remember those that were victim to Osama bin Laden's hatred, and how his attacks on September 11th forever changed this country.

I do not feel that it's celebrating the fact that someone died as many people are saying...it's celebrating that our again has a sense of strength. With everything that has been happening in the world in the last year, I think that many Americans are feeling like there is little to celebrate these days. They're celebrating that we're actually succeeding in what we are fighting for. I bet that Al Qaeda celebrated on September 11th. Two wrongs don't make a right, but if I think it's safe to say that people were pleased when Hitler killed himself.

Or do you have to kill 6 million people for that to be ok?

2 comments:

  1. There is a difference between accepting that we did what had to be done to prevent more lives from being lost... and then downright singing, chanting, yelling and celebrating killing someone. To me, one of the most disgusting memories I have of 9/11 is going home and seeing them celebrate the deaths that happened that day in America. Now granted, Osama is only one person and is without a doubt evil, but to me celebrating murder is the ugly side of humanity coming out and I do not endorse, will not participate or pretend to think that it is ok to behave like that under any circumstance. And just as sure as it is us out there celebrating tonight, it can be them tomorrow after they've murdered one of our people. Where does it end? Murder is murder is murder. And I get that it happens in war. But I for one will never CELEBRATE it. We haven't won. We haven't succeeded. We haven't weakened them beyond the point of no return. We've made a martyr out of their leader which is what they want and are feeling a false sense of security and hope that "we showed them" and "won". But now more than ever, we as a nation to be very cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree that it was necessary to kill Osama but I don't think that means we should celebrate it. I think there's a difference between relief and elation. My friend posted this on her facebook the other day.

    "Rather than cheerful elation, I think it would be more appropriate to express sober relief over the death of Osama bin Laden. Justice has been done, but let's not get drunk on the spirit of retaliation. May we move closer to peace and harmony." - Dr. Jagers

    ReplyDelete