Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Just a Few More Days...

Nearly two weeks ago, Travis interviewed for a job at a different district doing the same job he does now, only this school district is about five minutes from our apartment and the pay is much better. He's finishing out his final two weeks this week and Friday will be his last day.

I'm so excited for him and really proud of him. He's good at what he does. It never ceases to amaze me just how much he knows about computers. Apparently, when making cables for a network, (I've learned that 'pulling cables' is the correct term) there's a standard order for with the wires in a single cable, and it's color coded. He interviewed with a few people, and one guy asks, "What's the order of the colors when pulling cables." Travis rattled off the order without hesitation, and the guy asking says to another, "Well, I guess I owe you lunch!" He proceeded to tell Travis that they had a bet that those interviewing wouldn't get the right answer, (this isn't common knowledge, I suppose) and the loser had to buy lunch. This, of course, made Travis quite proud.

It's going to be strange when he leaves on Friday. I know everyone in his office and they're all really nice people. I hope that he's able to maintain some sort of relationship with them.

Speaking of jobs, tomorrow, (well, later today, actually) I'm going to turn in an application at the school district that I grew up in for substituting. I've been meaning to for a while but I keep forgetting. Hopefully that'll get me working more. I love the district that I sub in currently, but it's about 30 minutes away and after driving to and from work, I never feel like going to see our families on weekdays. Since both of our families still live where we grew up, if I work there, then he can come by after work and we can visit a little more often.

I need to call our photographer and start figuring out ordering prints and working on our albums. It's been almost two months since we got married, and honestly, I just don't feel like doing stuff in regards to our wedding anymore. However, I guess it's the last thing we have to do and then it's officially done.

That will be sort of refreshing, but a little weird. For a year and a half it's been all about wedding responsibilities, and once we finish with the photographer, it'll all be done.

In other news, it looks like I'm going to visit my friend Kate in Missouri for spring break. I'm really looking forward to it, since I only saw her briefly over the holidays. However, Travis won't be joining me, so he'll have to survive on his own for a week. He's probably counting down the days already until he's not only off of work, but has the whole bed to himself.

I'm off the night. :)

2 comments:

  1. So what's the verdict on his maintaining the office friends? I have tried this with varying degree of success. I worked at BP for 2.5 years and I am still in contact (weekly and on FB) with a few supervisors and one or two colleagues. In the jobs between that one and this one I made no real friendships or even networks.

    I couldn't imagine leaving where I am now. It's one of my worst fears. I do envy your talk of 5 and 30 minute drives. I live in Pasadena and work in Southwest Houston. I know that I could find work in a plant close to home (my last job was 8 minutes from home) but it just wouldn't be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He keeps up with them on FB and he gets called if they have a personal computer question. He's stil adjusting the the new office, but is liking it.

    ReplyDelete