Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ahhh, music. How I love thee. Let me count the ways...

I am not the kind of person to say things like, "I absolutely MUST do this before I die." It's just not the way I think. Despite what I said in my previous post about being "over" concerts, I had a discussion with my friend Aaron this weekend about the ultimate must-go-to concert, and I agree that I simply must go when they tour again.

Who is this band that is worthy of my attendance? Coldplay.

I cannot seem to get enough of them. I feel that the Viva la Vida album is absolutely brilliant, as it I continue to listen to it over and over. I think it was the first full album (and one of the few) that I have bought on iTunes. When I downloaded it a few months ago, it was actually the first album that I, Jessica had bought on my own (aka not waiting for Travis to buy it and then ripping it later), in a long time. I think that the last CDs I had purchased were Imogene Heap, and the soundtracks to Juno and Little Miss Sunshine, and I believe that those purchases were while Juno was still in theaters, so I'm guessing at some point in 2008.

Here's the kind of music person I am: I don't listen to the radio. I am consistently late to hearing of bands and learning the names of songs. A recent example was when I kept seeing the preview for Valentine's Day and couldn't get the song out of my head. So I asked my friend Kim (who is always all-knowing in the latest in pop music), what the name of the song was and who sang it, and she instantly rattled off, "I Gotta Feeling" by The Black Eyed Peas. I never know this stuff, but I once I do find something that I like, I'm perfectly content with listening to it forever.

I was recently introduced to the music by Explosions in the Sky. It's all instrumental and it really is amazing stuff. It's the kind of 'sound' I guess I like, which would explain why I like the Viva la Vida album so much. It's all kind of similar. I have one of their songs on my phone and I've listened to it a number of times. I actually don't even remember what it's called right now.

As lame and odd as this may sound, I am moved by music. This probably really extends from my activity in the church. I feel more connected to God when I'm worshiping Him than I do at any other time, so maybe that's why I find myself so enthralled with the power of music. Today, I was in the Stone Briar Mall in Frisco, TX and there was a harpist playing. I couldn't stop watching, and I was really bummed when Travis was done wandering through the Field of Dreams store because it meant that I had to move away from what I was staring at.

I don't usually discriminate when it comes to music. Being a Texan, I am the odd one out for not OMG LOVING COUNTRY MUSIC AND REBA, OMG. But I can only handle so much. That isn't to say that I don't love line dancing to "Boot Scootin' Boogie" or screaming "I Got Friends in Low Places" as loud as I can at certain times, but I just can't take it at every restaurant/store/public location that has a sound speaker that I go to. When I was in college it was the worst. We only had country stations and tejano stations, and every now and then, 106.9 The Point would come in through the static playing an excellent song from the 1980s. That would always make my day.

I mentioned the harpist before, and I'm a total dork because I like classical music. When I was planning music for the wedding ceremony, going through and listening to different pieces trying to find the right song was fun for me, because I like it. I think that this may mean that I was really meant to live in the days of Mozart, but whatever. One of my favorite traditional classical pieces is Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Movement II. It was the song on Mr. Holland's Opus that they played after Mr. Holland found out that his son, Cole was deaf. I remember liking it when the movie came out, so when I was older and everyone had since gained internet access, I looked up the song and it really is completely magnificent.

I don't know that there is really a moral to these little stories or a point to this post, but it's not really what I intended it to be at all. But that's okay. Now you, (whoever you are that has found your way to my blog today) knows how I feel about music. I hope that you have a song that you can listen to over and over too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment