Monday, April 19, 2010

Workout: Day One.

Well, 7am creeped up on me this morning much sooner than I would have liked for it to. I went to bed late because I was up making my workout playlist, (a workout must, duh!) and it took me a while to fall asleep.

But that probably (and hopefully) won't be happening tonight. Hopefully I'll be exhausted and want to go to bed at like, 9, so that I can get up and start it all over again.

Kim and I met there at 8am to meet with the trainer, Rachael. We did the BMI thing, and it was actually better than I figured it would be. I just knew she was going to look at it and say, "Wow. You're so fat, that even your bones have converted to fat. You are at a 100% BMI and all 100% of that is body fat. Way to go."

I won't say my weight, but I will say that I am 41.7% body fat and my BMI was around 35-38. I can't remember that part. Clearly, I'm waaaaaay to fat, since a person my age should be at 19%.

They didn't take my body measurements, but I'm thinking that I'm capable of this on my own. I have a tape measure. And I have a camera. My intention is to have all of that written down and then every month or so, I want to re-measure, take a new picture and compare the differences.

Maybe once I'm feeling confident and have made some progress I'll post all of that information here and then it'll be out there for the whole world to see, thus keeping me encouraged to not go back to that.

To start my workout, Rachael said to do a 10-minute cardio warm-up on something that wasn't a treadmill, so I chose a bike machine. I was proud of myself for keeping a really steady speed of about 83rpm.

After that, Rachael had us do strength training on our legs for 30 minutes. She said instead of working everything at once, work your legs one day, your arms and upper chest another, your abs another, etc, so that our bodies don't get overwhelmed.

In the past, between sets I'd just sit and drink water or something, but she really enforced the idea to keep your heart rate up so that your calorie burn is higher, which makes sense to me. So this was the first time in my life that I had really worked-out non stop for about an hour. You know what I suck at? Lunges. Oh my. I have no muscles in my thighs apparently, because lifting my fat self back up after going down wasn't easy. But I did it. :)

She had me do anywhere from 10-20 reps depending on what machine I was using and then I'd do anywhere from 5-20 reps of the alternate strength training, such as lunges, pumping myself up onto my tip-toes, etc.

After that part of the work out, I did about 10 minutes, on the bicycle again, about 5 minutes on the elliptical, (My legs were waaaaaay to tired for all of that excitement) and did the treadmill for about 10 more minutes going at a quick pace with an incline. For my cool down I did about 5 minutes on the treadmill when it was flat and much slower.

I could easily go back to sleep now, but I won't. Good day. Good workout.

1 comment: