Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gettin' Edjumakatid.

Well, I've been busy and neglecting my blog because I've finally started my classes for my alternate certification program so that I can be certified to teach. My classes started a week ago today, and so far, so good.

I go Tuesday nights from 6-9pm and on Saturdays from 8:30-3:30pm. Each class is 3 hours, (we have 2 classes on Saturdays) and it's actually not too bad. The class goes by relatively quickly and I'm meeting some nice people.

I will say, however, it never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some people can be, even future educators.

In order to be accepted the particular program that I am enrolled in, you make an appointment at the office, you go in, you watch a video that breaks down how the program works. After the video, a representative of the company, (in my case, the founder of the program) comes and takes questions about that video, then explains that a critical thinking skills test is going to be administered. You then take the test, turn it in, and wait for it to be evaluated. When they're ready, they call you in, let you know if you've been accepted, and if so, they explain the program to you AGAIN and give you a folder with all sorts of information, including a flow chart of how the program works.

HOW IS IT that people STILL had questions about it on Tuesday, our first day of class? Seriously? It's not that difficult.

1. Get accepted.
2. Begin your classes.
3. Take your content-area test. (so the state knows you're competent in your subject)
4. Do observations
5. Do an internship or student teaching.
6. Take another state-test.
7. Become certified.

Not difficult. At all. Yet after our teacher went through the program breakdown on Tuesday, a jillion hands shot up. I just don't understand how it's so difficult to understand. I mean, teachers are supposed to be somewhat intelligent, right?

At one point, our teacher was asking people what everyone's content-area is, and this guy honestly responds, "Uh...I think it's uh...social studies."

Really? You think you're certifying in social studies? Shouldn't you like, know or something? I mean, considering if you're taking the course, you HAVE to take your first content test in the area that you have the most college hours in. People really exasperate me sometimes.

However, I have found a friend in the class who experiences the same frequency in eye-rolls as I do during our classes. She and I have taken to shooting looks at each other when we really want to just raise our hand and yell, "SHUT UP, seriously."



Additionally, I'll never fully understand why people feel the need to randomly interject their long-winded personal stories and outlooks in the middle of the lecture. It's one thing if we're having a Q&A time, but when the teacher is trying to explain the principles and theories of Piaget, why must someone raise their hand and just start telling their personal life story on why Piaget has influenced them to become the magnificent teacher they hope to be at that moment? The rest of the class would like to just hear what the paid professional at the fron of the classroom has to say about Piaget, not the fellow student.

Maybe I'm bitter from endless years of schooling, but that kind of stuff just bothers me. The teacher isn't there to be a one-on-one conversationalist with you. The teacher is there to teach THE CLASS, so please respect the time and money that everyone is spending on the class and SHUT UP.

:) Oh, the life a student...I thought I was done. I may sound really negative, but I've found myself looking forward to going to class and all of that. I'm enjoying learning about being a better educator and knowing that each class is bringing me one step closer to becoming certified, but I just have a low-tolerance for idiots.




1 comment:

  1. Oh, education classes...There was a girl in my classes that was constantly saying, "My daughter does this" and "My daughter does that."
    People always feel the need to talk, talk, talk.
    I'm glad you are liking your classes though, and that you have something to do.

    :) Melinda

    ReplyDelete