Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Interview

It went really, really well.

I interviewed yesterday with one of the current theatre teachers, (the one that's leaving her current position for a new position within the school) and the principal. I saw lots of head nodding and smiles, and even heard a few laughs. I feel like I was myself and that I gave good answers that showed that I am qualified and right for the job.

They said they had 15 applicants, and selected 5 for interviews. Well, obviously, I was in the 5, otherwise I wouldn't have been interviewed yesterday, and they're going to take 2 of the 5 and give them a second interview with the district's fine arts coordinator, and that will happen next week. I've heard that I will be one of the 2, so hopefully that rumor is true!

Today, is my content test, which as I have said previously, is the test every Texas teacher must take to prove that we are 'highly qualified' to teach our subject, according to No Child Left Behind. I've been studying like crazy and I am feeling confident.

Last week, my program gave us the option to go to a review session where they would break us up into our subjects and let someone prep us for the test. I was the only theatre person there, so I was very fortunate and got to have a one-on-one review. My review counselor was very kind and knowledgeable. We actually talked for quite awhile about things that weren't even pertaining to the test, and we were laughing at ourselves for not focusing on what we should have been doing. After chatting for awhile, we went through the test, how they score it, what they're going to ask, etc, and she gave me things to make sure I know, so I have learned as much of that information as I can.

A few weeks ago, I went back to my university to get transcripts and while I was there I decided to visit old professors. One of them asked what I was doing, and when I told her I was taking the theatre content exam, she said, "Oh, wait a second. I have something for you." She proceeded to pull out a copy of a 130-question practice test and told me to go home, take it and learn the material on it. Without studying, I took it and I made a 73, which honestly isn't bad, considering I hadn't done anything theatre-related in over a year. So I started studying and studying. I took the practice test to my review session and asked my review counselor if she felt that it was a good review, and she told me it was an excellent practice test, that it was covering pretty much everything that I would likely see on the real test. So I came home, I decided to use the practice test as a study guide and I feel like I have learned pretty much everything I can. I took the test again the other day, and a 91, only missing 11. I've since learned those the content covered in those final 11, so I can't help but feel confident.

I know that the questions on the real test won't be the same ones as the practice, so I learned what that question was covering. Since I had one question covering the stock characters in Commedia dell'arte, I learned all of the stock characters in Commedia dell'arte.

Anyway, the test is at 2 o'clock. I'm about to run through my flash cards a few times, eat lunch and then get ready to go!




No comments:

Post a Comment