Thursday, October 21, 2010

My heart is sad.

Yesterday morning, I got a phone call that my father had passed away. The news is still sinking in. I'm at a loss for words, really.

But I will say that I am fortunate. I called him about a week ago to let him know that I got gotten the job, and the last thing he said to me was, "I'm proud of you."

For me, that's something to treasure. I've always wanted to please my dad...always.

I am also fortunate because I do have many good memories of him.

When I was a senior in high school, he and I did this thing for a while where once a month, I'd make him take me out to dinner, just the two of us, so we could spend time together.

I remember right after my parents separated, we'd go see him on the weekends and he would spend time playing Monopoly with James, Sarah and I at the coffee table of my grandmother's house.

I remember being a kid and calling him at work just to say, "hi" and he never got upset with me for it.

I remember when I was about 11, he took me for a ride on his motorcycle to the Water-Wall in Houston. When we got there we just walked around, talked and ate ice cream from a vendor.

I remember him taking us to the Astros' games at the Astrodome. We would always sit in the highest deck, the one with the rainbow seats. I remember almost every time when we'd be pulling into the parking lot, Sarah would get carsick and he was always really calm about it.

I remember him making the best chocolate milkshakes, complete with chunks of Hershey Bars.

So many good memories.

I love you, Daddy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Jessica. If you ever need someone to talk to I'm here.
    You're such a good person. It sounds like you had an amazing dad. I'm sure he's was a major reason you are the way you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, although I cried like a crazy woman, this was so nice to read. I'm glad you have these stories to hold on to. I love you and Sarah so much.....I'm always here for both of y'all whenever needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. Always remember the good ole days :)

    ReplyDelete